Saturday, May 16, 2015

Chili's


Welcome friends! My favorite sit-down restaurant is Chili's so it will be the first one that I cover in my nutrition analysis and recommendations series for dining out!

To get started, let's cover the beverage options. I always recommend drinking water but I know that sometimes we all want something else! Two other good options at Chili's are their flavored teas. If you have a reasonable server, ask him or her to make you a half and half tea, get half unsweet tea and half of a flavored tea. That will cut the calories and sugar in half. The following recommendations are for the entire glass of flavored tea, so keep in mind if you are able to get the half and half tea, your calories and sugar will be half of what I have listed here.

Beverages:

1- Water
0 calories, 0 sugar

2- Mango Tea
80 calories, 18 grams sugar

3- Blackberry Tea
80 calories, 19 grams sugar

Now let's cover the appetizers. This is always a difficult category because we tend to over eat when it comes to appetizers, especially in social settings. I selected 3 different appetizers for 3 different reasons. One is low calorie, one is low sodium, and one is low carb/sugar. The nutrition data I list is for the entire appetizer, so be sure to divide the values accordingly.

Appetizers:

1- Smoked Wings & BBQ Sauce
610 calories

2- Spiced Panko Onion Rings (No Ranch) *This item is on the 2 for $20 menu!
1770 mg sodium

3- Wings Over Buffalo + Bleu Cheese
7 g carbs, 3 g sugar

Soup and salads are usually a good option. For this restaurant, I selected one soup, one salad, and I would also like to add that I would recommend a cup of Terlingua Chili. There is only one chili option but the Terlingua Chili is not a bad option!

Soup & Salad:

1- Southwest Chicken Soup

2- Santa Fe Chicken Salad
690 calories, 31 carbs, 39 g protein

Sandwiches are always a touchy subject. Even though they taste great, they are usually loaded with carbs. For Chili's, I selected one sandwich that I would recommend but I also recommend eating only half of it because of the carb content!

Sandwiches:

1- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
1090 calories, 106 carbs

Burgers are another touchy subject because they contain a large amount of carbs, so again, while I will recommend an option from the burger category, I highly recommend eating only half of it.

Burgers:

1- Oldtimer with Cheddar Cheese
1180 calories, 145 mg cholesterol, 3280 mg sodium, 101 carbs, 9 g sugar

The Lighter Choices category can be tricky. Some restaurants are trying to be sneaky with their low calorie options but we also need to watch out for carbs, sugar, and sodium.

Lighter Choices:

1- 6 oz Sirloin with Grilled Avocado
410 calories, 65 mg cholesterol, 21 carbs

For the last categories, I will select at least one option from each that I would recommend. When I look at the “sides” category, I try to select as many as I can since that's usually a very diverse category.

Enchiladas:

1- Chicken with Green Chile Sauce
1040 calories, 13 g saturated fat, 63 grams protein

Fajitas:

1- Grilled Steak (for the “choose two” option, this is my first pick- *choose two option is on the 2 for $20 menu)
15 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 0 g carb, 0 g sugar

2- Grilled Chicken (for “choose two”, this is my second pick)
110 cal, 1 g carb, 0 g sugar

3- Pork Carnitas (for “choose three”, this is my third pick)
24 g protein

4- Corn Tortillas
180 calories, 100 mg sodium

Fresh Mex Bowls:

*The Chipotle options have less carbs and sugar!

Top Shelf Tacos:

1- Grilled Fish Taco (nutrition info listed is for ONE taco)
270 calories, 35 mg cholesterol, 720 mg sodium

Quesadillas:

1- Smoked Chicken Quesadilla
3090 mg sodium

Baby Back Ribs:

1- Dr. Pepper BBQ Ribs (half rack)
1950 mg sodium

Steaks:

1- Classic Sirloin (6 oz, *2 for $20 option)
1870 mg cholesterol, 41 carbs, 3 g sugar

Chicken:

1- Mango- Chile Chicken (also listed under Lighter Choices on Chili's menu, *2 for $20 option)
520 calories, 2180 mg sodium, 57 g carbs

Seafood:

1- Mango-Chile Tilapia (*2 for $20 option)
520 calories, 70 mg cholesterol, 1580 mg sodium

Flatbreads:

1- California Grilled Chicken (full size)
1450 calories, 2560 mg sodium, 77 g protein

Sides:

1- Black Beans
6 g fiber, 7 g protein

2- Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
60 calories, 12 g carbs

3- Seared Shrimp (half order)
40 calories, 2 g carbs, 6 g protein
4- Spinach & Garlic Roasted Tomatoes
45 calories, 9 g carbs

5- Steamed Broccoli
40 calories, 8 g carbs, 4 g fiber

Dessert:

1- Cheesecake (No sauce)
750 calories, 500 mg sodium


Follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment