Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pumpkin Seeds

One of my favorite snacks is pumpkin seeds. I get individual packs from a local health food store to keep with me when I'm on-the-go. The brand I get offers a lightly salted variety and a spicy variety. Pumpkin seeds have several benefits to offer. The nutritional data I list is for the brand of pumpkin seeds I purchase, other brands could vary. 

First, they are high in healthy fats. They have between 14-16 grams of fat per serving. Fat keeps us feeling fuller, longer, which is important to prevent those pesky cravings. 


 They are sugar free, low carb, and contain fiber! Any time I look for a healthy snack, I always look for something low carb and low in sugar or sugar free. We get unnecessary sugar (and carbs!) from snacks so that's something we need to pay attention to.

 Pumpkin seeds have between 230-270 mg of potassium. Potassium is a major mineral and is important for protein synthesis, fluid balance, nerve transmission, and the contraction of muscles.

Pumpkin seeds are a good source of iron. Iron is a trace mineral and is important for hemoglobin formation and energy utilization.

They are also a good source of phosphorus. Phosphorus is a major mineral and is part of every cell. It is important for acid-base balance in the body and energy transfer.

Pumpkin seeds are loaded with magnesium. Magnesium is a major mineral and is involved in bone mineralization, protein synthesis, enzyme action, muscular contraction, and nerve transmission. 

Lastly, pumpkin seeds contain zinc. Zinc is a trace mineral and is part of insulin and also many enzymes. Zinc is involved in making genetic material and proteins and is needed for immunity, vitamin A transport, taste, wound healing, sperm production, and fetal development. 






Follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment